Hounslow Action for Youth (HAY) have received funding from the GLA for our Urban BeeLievers environmental and community learning project on our beautiful Allotment. We are looking to recruit 40 newly retired or retired people to provide one-to one support to young people accessing this project.
Hours: Saturdays and Sundays (36 weeks of sessions)
Based at: The Allotment site in Hanworth & The Hanworth Centre
Reports to: Youth Group Manager & Operational Manager
Starting date: 17th June 2017
Volunteering Period: Weekends only – 36 weeks
Salary: The role is voluntary and therefore unpaid. Travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed.
Objectives of the Post:
Newly retired or retired volunteers will provide one to one and group support to young people aged 8-12, helping them to participate in a wide range of environmental, community development and social enterprise activities.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide one to one and group support to young people as they participate in beekeeping activities where they will harvest honey and beeswax and create a multi-purpose product from the beeswax.
- Support the young people in developing their beeswax product as the starting point for a social enterprise. The honey and beeswax products will be packaged and gifted to older people who attend a weekly Age Concern drop-in.
- Help the young people to organise an annual community fair for older people and the community.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good communication skills and the ability to empathise with young people
- Team working
- Business and marketing skills are desired but not essential
- Understanding of, and sympathy with, the overall aims of the Charity
What we offer our volunteers
- Induction and ongoing training and supervision from our skilled team of youth work professionals
- Monthly team meetings with opportunities to share information, learn and socialise
- Travel and lunch expenses will be paid
- Free access to external training with our local CVS and other partner agencies
We are a friendly, professional team and this is a great opportunity for retired people to have fun in a beautiful setting, sharing their skills with disadvantaged young people.
Please fill in a Volunteer Application form available from Get Involved under Volunteer or telephone 0208 898 0892.
Please note we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. You will be required to undergo an Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check.